There comes a time for homeowners to update the house. Two functional and smart options bay and bow windows create one simple but impactful way to enhance the appearance and value of the home. Bay and bow windows Huston Tx seem the same. So, they are often confused with each other. Dive in to find out the building blocks of what separates one window from the other:
- One large picture window with two smaller panes on either side.
- It adds square, hexagonal or octagonal footage to the home.
- Make your home look more modern.
- It has four to six panes of the same size arranged in a rounded shape.
- Create a turret effect in the corner of the house to get a wide perspective.
- Its most often associated with Victorian-style homes.
Difference aside there are pros and cons of each window. Take a look to find the right window for your home.
Pros and Cons of Bay Windows:
Most of us admire bay windows. The bay window brings a comfortable and dreamy feel to the house. How do the pros and cons of bay windows stack up to bow windows?
Pros of Bay windows:
- Bay windows offer several advantages to homeowners. They include beautiful designs that increase home value, lighting, surface area, and ventilation all at an affordable price.
- Bay windows are wider than normal windows and allow lighter in. They increase the natural lighting in your room and can be beneficial for your health.
- Bay windows are aesthetically pleasing. They will be a great addition to your home. They provide other advantages as well.
- Bay windows provide a better outside views of the surroundings.
- The wall attached to the bay window provides more surface area. This allows more air to come into your home.
- Bay windows are an attractive specialty that increases the value of your home. They have a unique style and open up a space in the room.
- Bays windows are getting more affordable as they are becoming more common. Cost ranges from $1100-$3500 depending on the company and design. The average cost is about $2300.
Cons of Bay Windows:
- Bay windows require professional installment due to their complex design and large size.
- Not every foundation is designed to bear a heavy load. There is the possibility of damage.
- Bay windows are not suitable for use in areas near sidewalks.
- Bay windows let extra light in which can also be a disadvantage as it can increase the temperature of the room in summers.
Pro and Cons of Bow Windows:
Bow window provides many advantages such as wide-angle view but there are some aspects that vary from bay windows. How do the pros and cons of bow windows compare to bay windows?
Pros of Bow Windows:
- Bow windows are the best choice to let in natural light as compared to regular windows. They allow even more light than bay windows.
- Bow windows have an elegant appearance which increases the value of a home.
- Bow windows provide a panoramic view.
- Bow windows provide more space for you to work when designing it.
- Bow windows can curve around the corner for a unique appearance.
Cons of Bow Windows:
Bow windows also have several disadvantages for homeowners.
- Bow windows are large and heavy and it is difficult to install them
- They are expensive than bay windows.
- As bow windows are larger, they require more planning to install them in the room. The opening mechanism cannot be installed without sacrificing the curved shape.
- Installing a bow window is a tough and expensive process. The installation cost of the bow window ranges from $5000-$8000. But installation costs increase with the custom job.
- Its installation is not a DIY job so if you are trying to install it by yourself. Most probably there will be severe home damage.
- Bow windows are less likely to open and ventilate the fresh air into the room.
- Narrow bows also create less space than bay windows.
- Furthermore, finding the best bow window treatments are difficult. Because the bow window is five or smaller panes in a row many treatments like curtains or blinds don’t fit without detracting from the curve.
Despite their differences, both bay and bow windows are perfect addition that will bring incredible views and light into your home. The first step when choosing a new window is to decide which type would be best for you. Bay and bow windows are popular options but both have their own pros and cons. By comparing bay and bow windows you can decide which option to choose according to your demands.